Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

This Better be a One-Time Thing Senator Hansen

Jerry Bader, local radio talk show host up in Green Bay at 1360 AM WTAQ, posted something on his own blog this morning that downright sickened my stomach.

Hopefully, it does yours.

Take it whatever way you want, but it seems State Senator Dave Hansen invoked the memory of his two year-old granddaughter as fodder for a fund raising letter.

Dear friends:
The past few months have been a trying time for my family as we mourn the loss of our little angel. We appreciate the kind words we have received from people across the state. From the friends and family who were with us in those first days to the thousands who have called and written to offer their support, we were touched by all. And in a sign that the human experience transcends the sometimes bitter partisanship in this country, my family and I have received condolences and prayers from the Republican Party and many Republican legislators-and we greatly appreciate their kindness.

Since that time many people have asked me if I intend to continue in my role as state Senator. And that is my reason for writing today. The loss we have experienced has caused a great deal of soul searching. I have been thinking hard lately about my life and public service. After much thought and contemplation and discussion with my family I feel stronger than ever that God has blessed me with the chance to serve the people for a reason.

There is still much work to be done. I want to continue working to make sure that every child in my district and in Wisconsin has the opportunity to pursue their American Dream.

My family and I have decided that now, more than ever, the best way to say thank you to a state and community which has given us so much is to continue the efforts we started. When I first ran I wanted to help make Wisconsin an even better place for everyone to live and raise a family.

I've rededicated myself to the re-election campaign for State Senate. Certainly family comes first. But I am also staying busy knocking on doors, talking to constituents and yes, raising money, toward the election next fall.

Before entering politics, I worked as a football coach, teacher and truck driver. I never thought I would be where I am today. I've been blessed with the opportunity to bring the values of the average Wisconsin resident into the capital. I'm not fancy. I still live in the same small home that my wife and I raised our family in and bought when we were first married. I know what it's like to punch a clock and to struggle to provide healthcare and security for our families. Every single day I walk into the State Capitol as a Senator, I vow to never forget where I came from.

For someone like me who was raised to be self-reliant, running for office is a strange process. I've never been particularly fond of asking people for money. But raising money is necessary and I have been very fortunate to have the support of thousands of people across Wisconsin. From lifelong friends in Green Bay to complete strangers in Milwaukee who know how important it is to keep the Senate in good hands, I have appreciated it all.

I am writing today to tell you that I have every intention of running for re-election and I am committed to winning. But I will need your help. Please consider making a contribution today via credit card HERE or by sending a check to "Friends of Dave Hansen" at 920 Coppens Road Green Bay, WI 54303. $100, $60, $35 or whatever you can afford will help us build the campaign needed to win.

Thank you all for your kindness and generosity.



State Senator Dave Hansen

(Who says there's not real blog work or Conservative watchdogs up in Green Bay?)

Hansen accidentally ran over his granddaughter in July backing out of his driveway on the way to a meeting, he never saw her until it was too late. We here at the BBA sent our condolences.

I'm sure we all concur, that if Hansen is using that tragedy for fund raising gain, it's fitting it's Halloween. He's a ghoul.

UPDATE: Fraley has more.

Labels: