Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Standout Quotes from the RNC, Day 2

Minnesota Rep. Michelle Bachmann:

“Government is not a philanthropic organization. Government is not the family. And government is certainly not the church.”
Sen. Tom Coleman (quoting a former St. Paul mayor):

"The mayor at that time asked, 'I’m not indecisive… am I?' That could be an Obama campaign slogan."
Tommy Espinoza (a friend of McCain’s from Arizona who gave the second-best speech of the night):

“I am a Catholic (big cheer)…a Hispanic (big cheer)…and a Democrat (confused rumbling followed by a half-hearted boo).”
Captain Leslie Smith (U.S. Army, retired, who lost a leg and the sight in one eye to a blood disorder):

“…the most liberating day of my life came when I stopped saying...'Why me?' And started saying, 'Why not me?'"
NOTE: Okay, so that particular quote isn’t unusual – kinda boilerplate, actually. A common anecdote told by people who have overcome some kind of adversity. I include it only to compare it to what we heard, over and over again, at the Democratic National Convention.

There, it was: things are so bad, we’re in such a bad spot, can’t somebody help us?

At the RNC, it’s: let’s do this.

We can, we will, vs. can’t someone? Won’t someone?

Anyway. Back to the quotes.

President Bush:

"If the Hanoi Hilton could not break John McCain's resolve to do what is best for his country, you can be sure the angry left never will."
President Bush again:

"John is an independent man who thinks for himself. He's not afraid to tell you when he disagrees. Believe me, I know (big laugh from the crowd)."
Sen. Fred Thompson (speaking about Gov. Sarah Palin):

"And I can say without fear of contradiction that she is the only nominee in the history of either party who knows how to properly field dress a moose ... with the possible exception of Teddy Roosevelt."
Thompson again (on Democrat tax plans):

"They say they are not going to take any water out of your side of the bucket, just the "other" side of the bucket! That's their idea of tax reform."
Sen. Joe Lieberman:

"...if John McCain is just another partisan Republican, then I'm Michael Moore’s favorite Democrat."

Labels: