Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Friday, March 07, 2008

Re: Geek or not Geek: You Be the Judge

I dabbled in D&D. No one in my high school was much interested in it (there was one other guy who did have such an interest). I spent a lot of time reading the magazine, the books, and designing dungeons and letting my imagination run wild. To this day certain songs come on the radio and in a flash I am sitting at my desk in my bedroom designing a dungeon with the summer air flowing in – a pleasurable thought. In college I played a bit at the start and end of my college days.

What D&D did do for me was to encourage me to read for the pleasure of it. I read a lot of books from the fantasy genre in those days but when I grew out of D&D so too did my reading.

Why did it appeal to me in the first place? I don't know, it did, perhaps it had to do with some friends from Kiel area. Steve & Matt (not their real names) were big into D&D and my brother and I followed.

Labels: , ,