Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Monday, February 13, 2006

Wisconsin's building tax frustration

I'd like to pass along an anecdote. I was speaking with an acquaintance of mine in Northern Wisconsin. This individual is not very political at all, but he does consider himself a Democrat. We were talking about some current issues in the state and the nation, and this usually means a nice debate. The topic of discussion turned to taxes, namely state taxes. In the past, this person has told me that he is okay with paying Wisconsin taxes because he likes the services he receives in Wisconsin and enjoys living here. That has changed. He showed a simmering frustration and anger over Wisconsin's taxes. He has not voted in over 20 years, and he told me that he is going to start voting because he's tired of the tax situation in Wisconsin.

If I were a Wisconsin legislator who wasn't on the frontlines of holding down Wisconsin's tax burden, I'd be a little bit nervous right now. When typically apolitical voters start getting riled up about an issue, elected officials tend to start losing their jobs. That is the cost of not listening to your constituents.