Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Taxation without Representation. Sort Of.

If you live in suburb that borders Milwaukee, you may want to check your license plate renewal very carefully:

"I saw it was for $95 and I knew there was an increase in fees so I didn't think too much of it," he recalled. "But then I went to renew [the plates] online, saw the itemized list, and saw there was a $20 wheel tax."

"I was pretty sure there was no wheel tax in Greenfield, so I looked it up and it was the City of Milwaukee [tax] they wanted to charge me."

The Milwaukee Common Council passed the so-called "wheel tax," a $20-per-car registration fee, for City of Milwaukee residents in July.

So how did Krueger, a Greenfield resident, get stuck with it?

It seems that there is a problem with the Wisconsin DMV's computer system that lumps residents of multi-community shared zip codes into Milwaukee. So if you live in one of those zip codes but aren't a resident of Milwaukee, watch your bill and if assessed the fee, contact the DMV at the number listed at the article.