Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Monday, November 19, 2007

Law Abiding? Citizens?

This morning I heard a conservative talk show host say that most illegal immigrants are "law abiding citizens." Now, I understand the need to pussy-foot around an issue because the host wanted to steer the discussion in a certain way. And, he probably wanted to avoid seeing himself in the Shepherd Express for weeks on end. But, I don't mind saying what occurred to me when he used the phrase. It's wrong on both counts.

Citizen? Illegal immigrants are not citizens. They must apply for citizenship and recite the Pledge of Allegiance a few times before they can become citizens.

Law Abiding? What part of ILLEGAL immigrant implies that? They're breaking a law every second of every minute of every day, voluntarily. They may be model individuals (not citizens), but they cannot be considered law abiding if they choose to ignore federal law. In fact, the hijackers were more law abiding than that, right up to about 7:00am on September 11, 2001. Some of them still had visas.

You needn't bother flaming me in the comments. I'm only pointing out the ridiculousness of trying to tip-toe around tender sensibilities. On the immigration issue itself, I don't see why I should care. If our government sees a threat, it should deal with it. When Washington gets serious, then perhaps I'll take the issue seriously. Right now, Connorsville is probably more proactive in enforcing its law against firing a gun during an orgasm.

Labels: