Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Is the Wisconsin Blogosphere unique or special?

A post over at future sleepless dad Aaron's blog rekindled a thought I have had a couple of times.

I believe at the moment the Wisconsin Blogosphere community is different than blogging in most of the country. We actually have a community that does not only exist online but in the physical world. We do things together we have picnics and blog summits and Xmas parties. We drink Right and We drink Liberally, we drink at the State Fair, we meet for lunch. We are known to meet to watch a football or baseball game at one another’s house. I do believe you see a bit more of this on the right but having the BBA as our Town square/Town meeting hall makes it easier for us than the people on the other side of the aisle.

We actually know a lot about each other, many of us actually could pick other bloggers out of a line up because we have met them in person usually more than once.

I can only speak for those of us on the right side but many of us have watched while our children played together while we talked geek and guns and politics. We cheer for one another I can remember being all geeked out the day Belling had to give Patrick credit for breaking the McGee story. One wins we all win.

We are also there for each other in times of good news and bad. Look at the prayers, happy thoughts and well wishes for Aaron and Kelly this week or when Kevin’s dad was having his surgery. The fact that Kevin choose to come to the BBA picnic because he didn’t want to wait in the hospital and being at the park would help him clear his head for a little while. I have been on the receiving end of this outpouring of friendship when my Father in Law past away and I will never forget it.

I have yet to see a blogging community that is as close as Wisconsin's, The NYC bloggers come close but I don’t think they reach the Potluck dinner feeling that Wisconsin blogging has. There always seems to be room at the table for any and all late arriving guests too. Think how many new blogs have joined our community in the last 6 months?

I guess what I am trying to say is we have something special here and we need to remain aware how lucky we are.

Regards,
Chris CP@SH2