Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Saturday, April 08, 2006

What will Favre do?

That press conference he held really cleared things up.

At a highly anticipated press conference this morning, Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre would not say whether he'll return for another season or retire.
Here's a little of what he said:

'My stance basically is, and I've told this to Ted and to Mike McCarthy, that I love to play the game, but in coming back I really stand to gain financial benefits or records, and that's never been about me. I want to feel like we can compete for the Super Bowl, and not just say that to say it.

'I don't know on paper if we're better or not,' Favre said of the free-agent signings so far this off-season.

'I know when we signed Reggie White, we knew we were going to be better right away. ... I think that's what we have to do, we have to make a statement again. You have to stay up with the NFL and teams are making statements. Sometimes you hit on them and sometimes you don't.'
I love Brett Favre. I will quite gladly cover my ears with my hands and chant "La la la la la I'm not listening! I'm not listening!" whenever anyone suggests that his time has passed.

On the other hand, are two seasons in the cards? Or just one? I don't see the free agents that could put Green Bay into Super Bowl contention next year. Even if they were out there, and if Green Bay could sign them, would it be smart to sell out to do so?

If Favre's choice is "one or done," maybe none is the right choice. If we have to start rebuilding and searching for that next quarterback, we might as well start right away.

For the record, I disagree with everything I just said. I want Favre to come back to break all those NFL records that are just dangling there like overripe fruit on a tree in the path of an oncoming hurricane.

If for no other reason, he should - HE MUST - come back to give that to us Packer fans.