Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Friday, April 07, 2006

Re: Get out and shop day: Immigration Post

I'm not ready to hit the promised post yet, but since the issue was a hot one and I ran across some very interesting thoughts from Colossus, I thought I'd share the link here.

Have a bite:

Are we concerned about jobs? The unemployment rate, right now, is at something like 4.7%, which anyone who studied economics in high school can tell you is something like full structural employment. We're worried that our lowest income jobs will suddenly not be held by Americans? Well, sure, but if I'm not mistaken, economic transactions don't happen in a void -- cheaper, imported labor means lower costs for somebody, which means higher profits somewhere else, which means a job opens up somewhere else.

Am I missing something here?

And forgive me, but aren't we staring down a demographic barrel with regard to Social Security and Medicare? Wouldn't adding a lot more young taxpayers into the system cushion the demographic collapse of these systems?