Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Thursday, March 09, 2006

The ethanol bill and my Fitzgerald concern

First off, I'd like to repeat the words of James Wigderson:
There may be still time. To find out who your state senator is, you can go to this website. If your state senator is Scott Fitzgerald, his Madison phone number is (608)266-5660, his district phone number is (920) 386-0260, his fax number is (608) 267-6795 and his e-mail address is Sen.Fitzgerald@legis.state.wi.us.
Next, I'd like to say that I have absolutely zero inside information on what I am going to say next, so take it for what it is worth. First, let's take a look at Senator Fitzgerald's District:Notice the red arrow in Fitzgerald's district. That is the location of an old Cargill Malt plant that announced it was closing last year. Last month in a post titled Losing Jefferson County to Ethanol?, I noted that the state was making a $1.9 million loan to Utica Energy to convert the plant to ethanol production. I'm sure that Senator Fitzgerald sees farmers, workers, and an energy company in his district that stand to benefit from this bill. If you live in Fitzgerald's district, it is imperative that you contact his office and register your opposition to the ethanol mandate. Unless his office hears from a lot of consumers in his district, it is logical that he could end up supporting the ethanol bill.

Additional
I have the text of my letter to Senator Fitzgerald here.