Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Friday, June 10, 2005

RE: Spivey Trade

I hate to burst any bubbles, but this really doesn't (in my opinion) accelerate the timetable for bringing up Weeks. More likely we will see Trent Durrington called up to play the role of backup while JJ Hardy gets more consistent playing time and finds his swing. As much as people are clamoring for Weeks, it still doesn't make sense right now. Bill Hall is killing the ball, and to bail on Hardy would be foolish at best. Unless Yost is planning on playing Hall at third, don't expect to see Weeks in a Brewers uni before the All-Star break (which would have happened even if they hadn't "found a taker" for Spivey).

As I am writing this I see that Haudricort is saying Weeks will be called up after the game tonight. I think this is a bad move on many levels, mostly because now we have the same rotational problem we had before moving Spivey. The thing I liked about moving Spivey is it would give Hardy and Hall the knowledge of starting every day. I hope, for Weeks, Hardy, and the ballclub in general, that they either bring up Durrington as a backup or move Hall to third. Weeks being the third MI does nothing to help his defense or improve his overall game. Benching Hardy now could hurt him irreprably.

Just my two cents.