Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Indian Mascots and Nicknames

So I'm driving home today and heard a little of Ben Sherman on WTMJ, talking Marquette University and Indian nicknames. One of the things he mentioned:

A Peter Harris Research Group poll, published in the March 4, 2002 issue of Sports Illustrated, showed that 81% of Native Americans support the use of Indian nicknames in high school and college sports, and 83% of Native Americans support the use of Indian mascots and symbols in professional sports. Sports Illustrated concluded that the 'poll suggests that although Native American activists are virtually united in opposition to the use of Indian nicknames and mascots, the Native American population sees the issue far differently.'

The link goes to a group called "Honor the Chief," which organized to protect the University of Illinois' nickname and mascot.

Yes, I'm linking to a U of I group. I know. Distasteful. Sorry about that. Place has been going downhill ever since Jib let a Bears fan in here.

I haven't been able to find any more info about that survey. I'd like to have a look at the methodology. Somebody here must be better at this than I am.