Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Monday, April 25, 2005

Sports blogging

Alright, gentlemen, we've had a whole lot of Packers' posts lately. Now, I'm not opposed to that at all, even though my husband is from Chicago which makes all of us -- brace yourselves -- Chicago Bears fans.

Assuming that doesn't disqualify me from posting on the BBA, I'm going to do a little sports blogging myself.

Today's topic: Kids' park and rec league baseball.

There's something almost sacred about little kids playing baseball in the summertime. Larry Miller wrote a beautiful essay about it once -- funny, moving, heartfelt, almost poetic -- and I just spent 15 minutes searching the Weekly Standard for it and couldn't find it, so never mind. But trust me, he said everything I would like to be able to say, only better.

My 6-year old daughter joined her first baseball team this year, and had her very first practice last week.

Turns out the coach is one of New Berlin's (many) former mayors.

Now, isn't that just so perfectly small-town, so very American, so Norman Rockwellish? He wasn't necessarily an awesome mayor, in my opinion (sure hope he doesn't read the BBA), but husband said he was a pretty decent coach, judging from the first practice.

He emphasized two things: Not getting hit in the head with the bat, and learning the other little kids' names.

That's about all you need at the kindergarten level.

And that's it for my first sports-blogging post.

(Please, no complaints that this doesn't count for sports blogging. It's the best I can do on that topic. Besides, you really don't want me posting about the Bears or White Sox, do you?!?)