Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Six Months Under the Gun: A Weapon-Carrying Experiment

This was interesting - a Pajamas Media column by Bob Owens, describing the six months he spent carrying a concealed handgun. Legally, of course.

A brief excerpt:

I quickly found that the DS Paddle holster that carried the M&P was impractical for me based upon what I wore in the summer. While the Kydex holster was very fast on the draw and very comfortable to wear, my normal summer attire of shorts and short-sleeved shirts simply couldn’t cover the gun from view. I was learning through trial and error that the style of holster that works for you will largely be decided by how you dress. It was becoming painfully obvious to me that to carry the handguns I had with my summertime wardrobe, only an inside-the-waistband (IWB) holster would keep the business end of the gun hidden, with the butt of the gun held up tight against my side for concealment under an untucked shirt.
He spends a lot of time discussing the two specific handguns he used; types of holsters; time at the range, etc. I'd have liked to hear more about how often he had to leave the gun behind - how carry-friendly was his home environment? Did he have any encounters with others who found out he was armed? If so, what was their reaction?

Still, interesting stuff, with lots of details I'd never considered.