Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Public Enemies filming at the State Capitol

On Monday, the State Capitol was pretty well overrun by guys wearing zoot suits, broad-brimmed hats, and two-tone wingtips.

Do they still call those saddle shoes?

They were extras - lots of them - for the Johnny Depp/Christian Bale 1920s gangster flick "Public Enemies," which, you may have heard, has been filming at locations all over Wisconsin, thanks to tax breaks they get for coming here.

Anyway, I'm not really one to get all star-struck just because a major motion picture with big-time stars is filming nearby, but...

OhmiGAWDitwassoCOOLandsomebodysaidtheyactuallysawChristianBALE!

Yeah, we drew straws to see which of us would smear White-Out and red lipstick all over our faces and jump into the middle of the action screaming "Bats! Bats! Bats!"

But then we decided...maybe not the best idea.

Anyway, the person who thought they saw Christian Bale was me, except I didn't think I saw Christian Bale - my co-worker thought I saw Christian Bale. In the men's room, with two women, putting on a tie.

I walked in; one woman said "oh, sorry;" to which I replied "oh, excuse me," and went to find another bathroom.

If that was Christian Bale, I didn't notice. I thought it was just some kid standing up in a wedding (they have those at the Capitol all the time) who didn't know how to tie his own tie. But then I figured it must have been for the movie.

I told one of my co-workers about it, and she said it must have been Christian Bale. She was convinced.

I'm still not, but what the hell. Three months from now, I will be. A year after that, and I'll have tied his tie for him. Six more months, and I'll have cleverly asked: "you know who you look exactly like?" And he'll have said: "Christian Bale?" And I'll have said: "no, Jeff Bridges."

A year after that, and he'll have come back to my office for a cup of coffee (I've always got coffee). And a year after that, I'll have lent him my own shirt because he spilled coffee on his, and his scene is coming up right now!

Oh, yeah. Christian Bale and me. We're like this.

Sorry, no pictures. I took a camera with me today, but they were already gone. Maybe next time.