Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Re: Redistribute wealth and be saved forever?

There is no virtue in compulsion.

The fundamental question posed to us in the Bible happens early on. Are we our brother's keeper? The Bible's answer is clear and is yes. However, too many people often times hear: Is my government my brother's keeper? Those who hear the question that way are outsourcing the business of caring for each other.

I also believe a fair number of people will answer the question by saying Yes, but after American Idol, that is they procrastinate or keeping pushing it off and does not get done.

Follow Ups & Additional Commentary 10:52 AM 03/23/2008
First off, I note Rev. Halbe is a retired pastor of a United Church of Christ (UCC) church. The UCC has another notable retired pastor. So, no surprise there the UCC is an outfit I would expect this sort of rhetoric from.

Rev. Halbe notes a large number of factoids but I do not believe they are really put into proper perspective. Tom Clancy in Clear and Present Danger puts things in perspective through the movie's villain. The villain is thinking about how even America's poor go to anti-government protests in their own cars. Yeah, the difference between our poor and Bill Gates is large, but so? My biggest problem I have with Bill Gates is the garbage the company he founded puts out not his wealth.

I have traveled the world a fair amount. My first visit to the Philippines had me amazed at the poverty. Large squatter settlements, people sorting through the garbage dump (aka Smokey Mountain) for food and items to rehabilitate and sell (or use). My second visit to the Philippines though came with another perspective shift and it did not look as bad as it did the first time.

In Africa the situation is worse and people I know who have been India tell me I have not seen anything when it comes to poverty.

With all that said, I find the commentary these posts have generated are a perfect illustration in reality of the leftist caricature of conservatives.

Clearly, the Bible does command us to care for others as well as worship and honor God but the second one is being ignored:
"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'
Source: BibleGateway.com New International Version Bible – Mat. 22:36-39
People who do not care for the poor or others fail the test.

Those who profess not to care for the poor would do well to reread the parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man.