Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Saturday's Muisc - January 26, 2008

Today's edition of Saturday's Music features tomorrow's birthday boy. His incomplete baptismal name is Joannes Chrysostomus Wolfgangus Theophilus... there is one more to add, but that would give the puzzle away.

Our featured composer is likely to be a fairly frequent visitor here and lived during the classical era (as opposed to the blanket term classical music). This composer's catalog of works consists of roughly 625 works, while this is modest in term of earlier composers (however, his shortened life may account for the relatively small number of compositions) it is certainly prolific by later standards.

I have amassed a fair sized collection of his works and his third and fifth violin concertos were the first pieces of classical music I owned (on the old record album, just as CDs were getting into the marketplace). What is really neat as you start to become familiar with one set of his compositions you can start listening to another and he sounds fresh again. For example, I can pretty much pick out one of his piano concertos as his even if I have not heard that particular piece in the past (as I suspect I hear right now. Just confirmed I was correct.), but then I then hear a string quartet and I am unable to name the composer.

None of his music (at least none I have heard) I would characterize as listless and the piece I pick out is definitely not listless music!

So, lets all wish Joannes Chrysostomus Wolfgangus Theophilus Mozart a happy 256th birthday while we enjoy the fourth (the rondo) movement from his Serenade number 7 featuring Jascha Heifetz:

Labels: , , ,