Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

What is SO Funny About Sheboygan?

I got a tsunami of funny place names, some of which I should have thought of myself, like Sheboyan, [sic] Walla Walla, and Azusa. Of course, Mona beat me to Ho-Ho-Kus, N.J., which always strikes me as a joke when I see it on a board at Penn Station, along with other New Jersey suburbs, like Mahwah or Perth Amboy. Then there's names that follow the rule that the "K" sound is inherently funny: Kalamazoo, Albuquerque (especially as pronounced by Bugs Bunny), Kokomo, Rancho Cucamonga, Lompoc, Kankakee, Poughkeepsie, Passaic, Tuscaloosa, Yakima, Nyack, Muskogee, Schwenksville (Pa.), and Apalachicola. As Yakov Smirnoff (who now lives and works at his own theater in Branson, Mo., of all places) said, "Every country has that one city that everyone makes fun of, even Russia. In Russia, we make fun of Cleveland." And just to round it out, how about Wausau [emphasis added], Puyallup, Yazoo City, and Chattanooga.
From: The Corner – Mark Krikorian (Re: Place Names)

There is an old joke about about Sheboygan, but I guess only Rep. Kagen can get away with telling that one.

Funny, I don't see the classic towns from Pennsylvania mentioned in his post.

Labels: , ,