Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Re: Blog Summit

Seems like the Blog summit is creating a hornets nest. I feel like a lone wolf out here in western Wisconsin without a pack to run with. I for one have to scrape for statewide news. I don't have the simple luxury of turning on the radio, tv, or a newspaper. I have to hunt for it on the net. The only things I get are what is reported from the Twin Cities or the local rag which publishes only 1 time a week. I get most most of my news from the BBA as well as some of the other blogs on my blogroll.

I give credit to BcBride and am glad she has the ability to get inside info. What some of us may have is a bit of envy in that we don't have the journalism background, the inside track, and the free time a professor has to blog with. But what we must be made aware, if we are picking up the proverbial pen to do commentary on things political on our blogs, we best be prepared to handle envy , criticism, and outright personal attacks.

I don't really consider the bunch attending the summit as stars, at least no no more than I consider myself one, as I run into many people who know me and my blog. Yes they have inside information and contacts we don't. Yes they also may have vocations that help them. But they pull up their pants the same way we do, one leg at a time. I would match my stats to anyones and I live in a county with only 77,000 people, not that all the readers are from the local area. I sometimes imagine what I could do with one the size of Milwaukee, but then again I don't have the competition they have. I consider my BBA blogger brethren, (is that word gender neutral?) bloggers the ones with whom I most relate to as I have met most of them. I also know that I am also read by all of Wisconsin, lots of Minnesota, and many places out on the coasts. I even have readers of all places, the NY Times.

So I think we can all continue and go ahead with our own niches, styles, backgrounds, and personalities and we will continue to evolve. There will come a time when the BBA will have their summit, (Maybe even here in Hudson!) and there will be people who will be offended by not getting on the invited list but hey, we're doing this as a hobby, right? With exception to a few, most of the blogs are relatively new, (less than 2.5 years). I think most peoples thoughts will be different after that point, if they even are around anymore. Because of their exposure, it is the Sykes', McBride's, and Althouse's that can help bring light to our blogs, right? I do believe, and hope they also recognize that a blog can also become commercialized and thus more susceptible to becoming just another version of MSM. I also think that politicians and their inside staff also can fall into this category where commentary may be perceived as strict party line advertising in a blog format. What credibility will it have? As for me, I like my niche and I enjoy all of your styles. Blog On.