Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Re: Radio "Ad" Rips Green on Ethanol

Since we're all touting our family connections to farming, let me ring in.

I have an Uncle, and now his son, who operate the third largest dairy farm (in herd size) in Manitowoc County. My father and a younger brother (Kurt's twin) have been or are currently milk truck drivers. Another uncle operates a trucking firm that includes milk haulers.

But the "piece de resistance" is that my grandfather was a founding member of the largest dairy cooperative in Northeast Wisconsin.

Sean might remember the name since they are now part of Land O'Lakes. Anyone ever hear of "Lake to Lake Dairy?"

So, yeah I get torn on agriculture vs. free market issues like most Wisconsinites. My posts on MILC tore at my soul when I wrote about them. But I've been told both GOPers running for Governor are for that, so it's a draw on that issue.

After all, who wants to piss off dairy farmers as you're seeking the state's highest office?

As for what Patrick brought up, I never said he's taking joy over Green's stance - Mark Belling is though - but I do feel that many Walker backers are over-hyping it because they finally have something they think could put 'their guy' ahead.

My guess is no since people in Milwaukee listening to Sykes or Belling weren't going to vote for Mark Green anyway.

As for other mandates, no one knows what could come down the road, so anything there is pure speculation. But yeah, this state does stupid things with farming and mandates. Anyone want to go to a restaurant or supper club and ask for margarine?

If there are future mandates, it's the ones that mandate your insurance company to cover things in your health care coverage that really worry me. Most of the time it's for things you aren't ever going to need, but your provider only gets to pass the 'joy of a higher premium' onto you.

That I've been told there is a difference between the pasts of the two candidates. But it's the reverse of this one - Walker has backed them, Green has not.