Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Monday, May 16, 2005

Abortions plummet in Wisconsin: good news for both sides of the debate, right?

I received this press release from Wisconsin Right to Life recently. Good news: abortions are on the decline in Wisconsin (which I believe mirrors a national trend but am not going to do the search right now. Sorry.)

You would think the pro-choice side would be as happy about this as the pro-life side. After all, they're always saying that abortion should be "safe, legal, and rare".

(By the way, of those three things -- safe, legal, rare -- the only term that applies right now is legal. Abortion is never safe for the baby, and not for the mother, either -- emotionally or physically -- and it's definitely not rare, even with this decline.)

Anyway, I did a little research this morning and found absolutely nothing from the pro-abortion side, as represented by Planned Parenthood and NARAL, about this good news.

Even a phone call to the national media contact for Planned Parenthood didn't help. He had nothing to say about it, but referred me to the Wisconsin contact. I'm waiting to hear back from her; she said she'd try to find something they'd written about it and email it to me. If I get anything, I'll be sure to share.

So what's all that business about wanting abortions to be "rare"? It's always been nothing more than a sop to conservatives, and this deafening silence about the decline in abortion is more evidence of that.