Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

3 Year Old Kindergarten!

Looks like WEAC has found another way to ask for more money, and they get to thank Governor Doyle once again. There probably isn't a worse time to add an expensive program to the state public education menu, but Doyle proposed just that during his State of the State speech last week. The governor proposed extra money for 4-year-old kindergarten despite a looming $1.6 billion state budget deficit. Now originally I thought isn't this much too early to take the children and start indoctrinating them in public education. I thought a child was supposed to go to kindergarten when they were 5 years old. So, do these babysitters, and thats what they are at that age, get the benefits of a teacher? Are they teachers? So I thought I'd do a little research.

I enter "4 year old kindergarten" in google and low and behold, I get page after page of links all referencing Wisconsin schools. Is Wisconsin the only one who has 4 year old kindergarten? Down one of those pages of links I see a link titled '3 - 4- and 5 - year Old Kindergarten'. It takes me to a Milwaukee Public School site. My gosh, I'm speechless! 3 Years old!

I see the Wisconsin DPI is pushing for 4 Year old kindergarten. I did find find that they did say "Teachers with BA or higher degrees in early childhood education have the experience and training to provide quality learning opportunities." So when you hear the rhetoric of the left saying "Do it for the kids", they mean it. All of them between 3 and 20. I think its just a WEAC jobs program. 3 years old....

Cross Posted @ On the Borderline