Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Scott Walker to run for Governor

Scott Walker announced yesterday that he’s going to run for Governor of Wisconsin, hoping to defeat incumbent Democrat Jim Doyle.

This is very good news.

Scott Walker, Republican, has been the County Executive of Democratic-stronghold Milwaukee County for the past three years. He’s done an outstanding job of holding the line on taxes, calling attention to the tremendous potential for vote fraud in the City of Milwaukee (prior to the election), and co-chairing the Bush/Cheney campaign this fall.

This past spring, he won re-election with 58% of the vote. Again, this is pretty impressive for a Republican in a traditionally very Democratic county.

Milwaukee County – in fact, this entire state -- is so ready to be Red. And I really think that Scott Walker is just the candidate to help us get there.

Here’s an excerpt from his website:
Three years ago, I was honored to be serving as a member of the State Legislature from Wauwatosa, when the local government here was racked by a political scandal involving self serving politicians and public officials. Then, something amazing took place. Tens of thousands of ordinary people did an extraordinary thing in our County, they took their government back. It wasn’t a movement fueled by anger, but rather hope. And it is in that same optimistic spirit of hope that I will mount my campaign for Governor. Area residents here had the hope that their involvement could lead to dramatic changes in their government. They were right. Even though I hadn’t considered running for County Executive, I was moved to do my part, and together with tens of thousands of concerned taxpayers, we set out to take on the old political machine in Milwaukee County. We took them on, and we won.
This fall, I attended a Milwaukee County training session for Bush/Cheney volunteers. It was held at Serb Hall, in the heart of Democratic Milwaukee. I had to park four blocks away. Inside, it was standing-room only, with over 2,000 volunteers in attendance. When Scott was introduced, the crowd went nuts. They were on their feet for a standing ovation, before the man even said a single word.

Republicans in Milwaukee love this guy. I don’t think it’s an overstatement to say they consider him something of a hero for conservative causes. But it’s not just Republicans who love him; obviously, he appeals to plenty of Democrats and Independents, too, with re-election numbers like he got last April.

There will possibly be other contenders for the Republican nomination for Governor before it's all over, but Scott Walker, in my opinion, would be an excellent choice.

UPDATE: In my haste to post this before Blogger tanked on me again, I neglected to introduce myself and to thank Jib for allowing me to be a posting member of this fine Alliance. So, thank you! I'm honored to be a part of the BBA. And if you want to find out a little more about me, please stop by my primary blog, Stand in the Trenches.