Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Monday, February 16, 2009

That explains all those 100-foot tall crosses I've seen in Illinois and Kentucky

Don't get me wrong - I love my cellie. But I'm not sure what to think about this:


US Cellular is asking the City of Janesville for permission to build a cell tower at St. Mark's Church on Mount Zion Avenue by the interstate.

Gale Price, manager of building and development services for the city, says the tower is proposed to be free-standing in a corner adjacent to a green belt. US Cellular wants to build a 120-foot tower with lattice frameworks extending out for cell equipment.

This technology is not unusual for ecclesiastical properties. A cell tower disguised as a light pole is in the works at a church parking lot in Beloit, and there's one hidden in a church steeple in Janesville's Fourth Ward.

If it's a win-win situation, I guess churches have to pay the bills like the rest of us (tax-exempt status doesn't mean free power and water).

On the other hand, it's one thing to make a smaller tower look like a light pole, and cleverly hiding one in a steeple is a good enough joke to let it go. But this thing's gonna look like a Metallica-designed Giant Redwood from the planet Regulus V.

Shhhhh! Don't mention that I back-dated this post - someone'll accuse me of falling down on the job and having something like a real life.