Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Saturday, August 23, 2008

We're going to see and hear this several thousand times between now and November


I'd like to hear the context of that pro-McCain quote.

UPDATE - here's the transcript:

ANNOUNCER: What does Barack Obama’s running mate say about Barack Obama?

STEPHANOPOULOS: You were asked, “Is he ready?” You said, “I think he can be ready but right now, I don’t believe he is. The presidency is not something that lends itself to on-the-job training.”

JOE BIDEN: I think that I stand by the statement.

ANNOUNCER: And what does he say about John McCain?

BIDEN: I would be honored to run with or against John McCain, because I think the country would be better off.
This explanation of the last quote from Hot Air:

The latter quote comes fromThe Daily Show and answers a Jon Stewart question in 2005. Stewart pressed Biden, who confirmed that he would have felt comfortable as McCain’s running mate.
2005. That's some good opposition research right there.

UPDATE #2 - Found the clip, and it doesn't quite match up with HotAir's description. The part about McCain starts at about 2:40.



"Well, John McCain is a personal friend, a great friend, and I would be honored to run with or against John McCain, because I think the country would be better off.…uh, it'd be well off no matter who…"
Stewart interrupted then, asking about that word "with." Biden said yes, he meant "with," but followed up by saying he'd asked McCain to run as John Kerry's running mate.

The quotes still work, of course: it'll be interesting to see how the Obama camp spins those two statements. They're too recent to simply shrug off.