Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Friday, April 04, 2008

Less earn-a-buck this year

DNR: Two fewer earn-a-buck zones in Wisconsin in 2008

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- State wildlife officials want to reduce the number of earn-a-buck zones for this fall's deer hunts by two.

The DNR plans to present regulations...that would remove eight zones in northwestern and central Wisconsin...(and) add six zones in southwestern Wisconsin, for an overall reduction of two.

The contentious program requires a hunter to kill an antlerless deer before taking a buck.

The state Department of Natural Resources says the program is needed to control a burgeoning deer herd. Hunters generally despise it because they have to pass up trophy bucks.
Normally, I’d be crossing my fingers that one of those non-EAB zones is going to be where I hunt, but I’ve got a buck tag from last season burning a hole in my pocket already.