Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Wow.

BALTIMORE (AP) -- The Texas Rangers became the first team in 110 years to score 30 runs in a game, setting an American League record Wednesday in a 30-3 rout of the Baltimore Orioles...

Texas also set a team record for runs scored in a doubleheader -- before the second game even started.
Heh. I love that part.

Even with the one-sided score, there was a save. Wes Littleton earned his second career save and first this season by pitching three scoreless innings.
What? I thought the winning run had to be at the plate or something in order to make it a save.

Here's something else I don't understand: the Rangers got 30 runs on 29 hits; 8 players walked aboard, and the Orioles had one fielding error. But according to the box score, the Rangers left 18 runners stranded. Could there have been that many balks? Somebody explain it to me.

Anyway, here's what I was wowing about:

David Murphy had five of the Rangers' 29 hits, the most by a major league team since Milwaukee had 31 in a 22-2 victory over Toronto on Aug. 28, 1992.
I remember that game!