Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Thursday, April 19, 2007

The Other White Meat

Has spurred a hate crimes investigation!
LEWISTON, Maine --Police are investigating as a possible hate crime an incident in which a ham steak was placed in a bag on a lunch table where a group of Somali students were sitting.

Such an incident would be offensive to Somalis, who are Muslims and consider pork unclean.

Source: Boston.com – Police investigate ham incident at school
You know when I picked up on this this story at Little Green Footballs I thought this heinous hate crime occurred in the UK. But I was wrong, this is in Maine! In Maine!

They put a hot wire to my head
Cos of the things I did and said
They made these feelings go away
Model citizen in every way

Source: Lyrics excerpt from PiL's Rise from their album Alburm


A cousin told me of an instance where fast food workers in the place she worked would place ham onto a regular Jewish customer's order and snicker in the back about it. I came away not offended but disgusted by that lack of respect but to involve the authorities? Absurd.

What is next? Is Blogger Beer going to get investigated for the image of Piglet?

Labels: