Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Michels & the Senate Race

I've been watching Owen, Kevin, Sean, and Jenna's coverage from the Republican Convention, and a lot of the talk from last night was about a possible Tim Michels run for Senate against Herb Kohl. I grew to like Michels a lot during his run against Feingold in 2004, and I'd really hate to see the state GOP use him as cannon fodder again, only against Kohl this time. Seriously running against Kohl is going to be a very expensive venture, and I just don't think there is the time to get enough money into a Michels campaign to give him a shot. Herb doesn't dump money into the Bucks in the two years before a campaign for nothing, folks. He wants to hold that seat, and he'll spend the money to do it.

The only person in the party that I think could announce a run right now and be able to give Kohl a tough fight is Thompson. That's why I'd much rather see Michels run for the House at some point down the road. I think he'd make an excellent Representative, and a tough future Senate candidate from that footing. I don't know what district he lives in, but if I had to venture a guess, I'd say that he probably lives in Sensenbrenner's or Ryan's district, which complicates that more than just a little. Michels is someone who I think could have a long and strong political career if he and the party just manages his future right. My fear is that they are just going to squander him in races he can't win, though.