Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Thursday, April 27, 2006

RE: Group Hug for Kevin

Gee thanks Sean...I think?

To be honest, if the circus of the Caucus Scandal hadn't happened, Jensen would still be Speaker and Gard would be back where I always thought he was more effective - Chairman of Joint Finance.

Do I think Gard's a great Speaker? Hardly. Many in SE Wisconsin, upset about the Jensen charges, have always seen Gard as a "place-holder for Jensen" and that maybe some of the reason for the animosity and reception he's felt in some quarters down in that neck of the woods.

Maybe I'm wrong on that? But I always get a chuckle in my throat when I hear someone say Gard's not "conservative" when I can recall meeting a State Assemblyman from SE Wisconsin (the name eludes me) shortly after then-Rep. Joe Leibham won election to the State Senate and the topic of Gard becoming Speaker came up in conversation. His exact words were he was worried Gard was "too Conservative for his tastes."

So take your pick.

But I also realize that Leadership in any house of government is a test of one's pragmatic skills and fighting the battles you know you have the votes to win. Yeah, its not pretty or ideologically perfect, but you do what you do with the cards you're dealt.