Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Thursday, March 23, 2006

With All This Talk

On Wisconsin talk I have to share this story with you all.

I was teaching young women in mathematics and computer applications in the United Arab Emirates (this would have been over the fall of '97 through the spring of '98) and when teaching I would expose them to Wisconsinese as well as more proper English (one of my students when on the men's campus had lived for sometime in Madison and was completely conversant in Wisconsinese). Well, one of the best caricatures of Wisconsinese (IMO) comes from the Happy Schnapps Combo (the singers of the nation famous Da Bears Still Suck Polka). Well, on their second CD Raise It! they have a song done in polka-rap fusion style called No, I Don't Wanna Do Dat. It goes something like this:

Do you wanna wash da dishes?
Don't wanna-wanna do dat!
Do you wanna make da bed?
Don't wanna-wanna do dat!
Do you wanna swallow poison?
Don't wanna-wanna do dat!
Do you wanna do a shot with me?
YEAH-YEAH-YEAH!

Repeat in a similar fashion.

Now, I got my girls used to the Wisconsinese in this song. Then one day in one my classes I announced a quiz. One of the girls piped up: Don't wanna-wanna do dat!