Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Monday, March 20, 2006

Re: I'd like you to meet my attorney, Rob Neuhouse

Tee Bee,

Great post.

I was about to say fact or opinion is an important criteria but this site states fact vs. opinion is not a criteria but a defense in most jurisdictions. That is, if a person is uttering or writing an opinion then the defendant is probably off of the hook, but if the defamation is a statement of false fact then the defendant is liable for the libel. Of course, the difference between statements of fact vs. opinion is not always clear cut.

Truth is always a defense against accusations of libel and slander. If you can prove your writings or your speech you are not guilty of libel or slander.

I had one person come onto my blog and accuse me of misrepresenting his words in front of the state legislature. I conceded his point since I was working off of memory from an early morning news report and could not find a transcript of that particular debate. I posted an update in the main body of that blog detailing the assemblyman's quibble with my blog and a minor correction. I have heard no more from that blog.

I am not a lawyer so the above should NOT be considered legal advice.