Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Reynolds may get challenger because of school choice

Wow, what a decision we Wisconsin Republicans may have before us. State Rep. Leah Vukmir has said that if Senator Tom Reynolds is the deciding vote that kills the School Choice deal, that she will run against Reynolds in a Republican primary.

Now I want to say out front that I have in the past disagreed with a run against Reynolds when it was rumored that Brian Fraley was thinking about a challenge himself. My reasoning was that Reynolds has always been the most conservative vote in the state senate, and his "quirky" comments at times was not sufficient to remove him. Some also have strong feelings about his overt Christian beliefs, but many of us think of that as a plus... But today, we have a lot to reconsider.

Is Reynolds' really weird reasoning and his seeming to want to find a way to kill school choice, reason enough to change my mind and support another conservative challenger? As someone that has never thought it right to vote for or against someone on a single issue, I am rethinking my stance. I believe that this school choice bill, which isn't perfect, but no compromise ever is, is worth a challenge. If Senator Reynolds' bull headed stance on this forces thousands of kids out of their schools and back into MPS, I think he should be removed from office.

Spivak & Bice are reporting that Reynolds backers at the Wisconsin Conservative Digest are already fighting back hard, almost to hard in my opinion, they sound like they know this is a losing issue for Reynolds. Charlie has the text of the exchange between Leah Vukmir and Bob Dohnal. I think Donhal is misreading the reaction of the Bloggers on the right side of the isle, I don't think I will be the only one to have a real strong negative reaction to Reynolds if he allows school choice to die.