Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Monday, February 20, 2006

PJ PIckup #2!

I just checked my traffic count for the day and noticed it was going crazy. Why? Pajamas Media picked up my blog entitled Running Around Proxy Servers where I give instructions on how one can evade proxy server blacklists.

When I lived in the UAE there was one (and still is) ISP and that was the government ran telco company. Eventually they forced all subscribers to access the WWW via proxy server and they must have had a room of low paid people going through the proxy logs and inspecting the websites accessed. One could visit a "naughty" ;-) site once, twice, maybe thrice and then Etisalat (the govt monopoly telco) would pick up on it and block access to the site.

Well, I used my ISP account back here in Northeast Wisconsin, telnet, and Lynx to visit the barred site. Now, this is only really a solution for sites that are text rich. For example, Michelle Malkin's website that just found its way on to Etisalat's blacklist.