Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Monday, December 05, 2005

Op-Ed on the Wisconsin Marriage Amendment in MKE Magazine

The people of Wisconsin will likely vote in November on whether to amend the Wisconsin Constitution to define marriage explicitly as between one man and one woman, and to prevent an analogous legal relationship from being created in its stead.

As part of a recently started monthly feature on relevant state political issues, I was asked to write an article defending the proposed amendment for MKE, a free Milwaukee area weekly magazine published by the Journal Sentinel. The article is online (and features a picture of me for those of you have never met me). You can also check out page 6 of the print edition to read the article. Type your zip code here to find out where you can obtain a copy. But since my name is spelled "Hagendorn" in the print edition instead of "Hagedorn", stick with the online version to keep my embarrassment to a minimum (Why do people always like to make my last name more complicated? I mean really, what does the extra "n" accomplish here?).

The hardest part about this was writing on an issue as complex as same-sex marriage in 300 words or less. The article is based in part on this prior post on the amendment. But I had to pick exactly what issues I was going to address due to space issues, and certainly left many things out. But I was happy with the final product. Check it out!