Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Friday, November 04, 2005

The Wisconsin Driver.

I have to start this blog with a disclaimer. I love this state. I have lived overseas in a warm climate without really any taxes (especially when compared to Wisconsin) and yet I returned to not just the USA but Wisconsin, the nation and state of my birth. The Packers are not just going to win this weekend they will embarrass the Steelers. I lover WI winters as much anything else and our beer is spectacular. I love this state.

Though, one thing that absolutely drives me nuts about Wisconsin is the Wisconsin driver. One more thing before I continue, if the glove fits otherwise this jury acquits YOU.

When you are not passing, people get in the right lane! Slow Fast is not defined by the speed limit or the speed you are driving but by the traffic. If people are passing you, you are slow and have no business (unless passing someone slower) in the left lane. You see the left lane is the passing lane and if you are not passing the right lane drives just the same as the left lane. I am strictly talking about driving on the freeways in the country not through cities. City driving is another matter all together and I relax the left lane is the passing lane rule.

One of the reasons the death rate on the unlimited speed Autobahn in Germany is because of their lane discipline.

For instance I am cruising north on 151 and am around Columbus. We are stuck in the right lane because the left lane is closed. No problem traffic is moving nicely but slower than the customary speeds. The left lane opens up and dude pulls out into the left lane and just sits there, passing no one. It is a completely novel concept to this person to drive in the left lane, a forbidden fruit–they just have to taste.

Our trip to Sioux Falls a couple of months back was interesting with respect to lane discipline. Once we got into Minnesota I do not recall seeing anyone dilly-dallying in the passing lane the whole length of the state both on the way to Sioux Falls and the way back. In fact, our trip to Luverne (about 1/2 hour from Sioux Falls in MN) last fall I noticed that same thing.

It all has me feeling like a grumpy old man.