Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

What is you home worth?

And what would it be worth if it were located in California? In San Diego, the median price of a home is $593,000. Most of us here in Wisconsin envision a luxurious mansion at $593,000. Not so in California. This last winter, I had the pleasure of taking a ride with a client in his home town in Southern California. He pointed at a dilapidated box of house which couldn't have been more than 900 square feet, and he asked me how much I thought the house was going for. I guessed $200,000, thinking that I had covered the California price inflation. Not quite. He said that a house like that beat down, tiny place was worth between $350,000 and $400,000. The moral of this story? Be thankful housing is affordable in Wisconsin.