Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Re: Stem Cells

Count me the odd one on this issue, but I have nothing against stem cell research.

Now before you all come calling for my copy of the keys to this place - hear me out. I have nothing against the science behind it, but I don't like the bill for purely economic conservative reasons.

Government should not be forking out taxpayer dollars for something that the private sector seems more than willing to do. After all, we're getting to the point of privately funded space travel and tourism. Privately funded stem cell research (which has and never will be banned) can pick up the pace.

That's what's shocked me with guys like Glenn Reynolds going all ape over the likely Bush veto on this. Dude, for a guy who clamors for less government, how is state-sponsored science a good thing?

Of course, I'm thinking a large number of liberals are backing this idea for the most obvious of reasons: it expands governments role in the private sector and it ticks of the Religious Right. Their backing is dubious at best.