Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

re: Marquette Gold

Wow, the administration at Marquette must be completely out of touch with the alumni. They didn't hate Golden Eagles because it was a bad name but because it wasn't Warriors. So in their tone deaf way, they go off and change it to an even dumber name. Wow. If they thought people hated 'Golden Eagles', just wait until they get the feedback on 'Gold'.

I never really got into the whole Warriors-Golden Eagles thing because, frankly, I don't care. I had a small amount of sympathy for the pro-Warriors camp because it was possible to both bring back the name and drop the Indian mascot the way my Alma Matter, UW Whitewater, did once upon a time with their Warhawks name. Somehow the Marquette administration made a decision that even left a disinterested third party such as myself shaking my head. If they think this will make people nostalgic for 'Golden Eagles', they're wrong.