Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Kinghts Templar, the Church, and oppostition to Benedict XVI

Heh. I love historical references to the Knights Templar. Sean, that post automatically gets an 'A+' in my book, just for the reference.

I've mentioned this at Jiblog, but as a Lutheran, I don't really understand everything going on in the Catholic Church right now, either. But then again, I suspect there are Catholics that don't understand Lutheranism much either. I think Daniel Chapman in your comments makes an excellent point, though. There is more influence working within the Church than from without, which is why we are innundated right now by unhinged whiners like Sullivan.

I think there is another angle to this, though, and that is the elevation of the self. Most people who are pushing for the liberalization of the Catholic Church right now are pushing for it out of personal interest. They truly believe in the doctrines of the Catholic Church, but at the same time, the lives they live contradict some of those doctrines. Those individuals have elevated their regard for themselves to that of their God. Because of that, when aspects of their lives run contradictory to the word of God, it has to be the Church's fault. It can't be their's, and it can't be God's, so that leaves the Church as the entity for them to blame, or perhaps to scapegoat.

But I am just a (very) amateur theologian, so take this as you may.