Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

In case you missed Mr. Churchill, I will give you my take on the Ward Churchill speech.

I only heard the middle portion of the speech as the audio cut in and out and because of more important "life things" going on.

Mr. Churchill spoke in a relatively calm manner throughout the schpeel.

The audience only really applauded once that I heard. I did not hear the beginning 1/4 or the last 1/4 of his talk, but I imagine he received more applause at the end.

His speech started with a 'shout out' (my term, not his) to Leonard Pelltier, a native American serving time, I'm sure in his mind unjustly, for killing two FBI agents.

He went on to describe how he has published something like 21 books, and how of all his speeches, of all the papers he has written, how the one phrase "little eichmans" has been taken out of the context of his intended larger message, which from what I heard, is that America's foreign policy and dealings with native Americans has lead to policy of hatred toward the U.S. and that we were responsible for the hatred.

He continued with a litany of 'what's wrong with America', how they have mistreated specifically the American Indian. How the Dutch basically stole Manhattan from the natives for their early trading desires. There was more, basically just touching on the plight of the American Indians.

He took a shot at Bill O'Reilly, criticizing him for claiming he was taking taxpayer money for his 40 or so speeches. From what I understand, the speech will cost the public around a total of $4,000 as there was costs associated with setting up for the talk, security, etc.

I believe that he received something along the lines of $1,000 from speaking tonight, the entire amount coming from the University, which gets it's money from student fees.

Coverage and pictures of the events can be seen here, here, here, and here.

I'm sure the U. of Whitewater may have something up soon. It appears their website is down. Keep trying. I'm sure someone will have the audio up in the next day or so as well. I do think we need to put Mr. Churchill on suicide watch though. He seems quite miserable. - cross posted at Brainpost