Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Monday, January 31, 2005

From the mouths of babes...

Today at lunch I showed my kids the photo of an Iraqi woman showing her purple-inked finger: the proof of her vote, and safeguard against fraudulent double voting.

My 12-year-old daughter looked surprised, and immediately said,
"But Mom! If Iraqi people can have something like that to make sure people only vote once, why can't we?"
Good question!

After all, in Iraq, a purple-stained finger could mark you for death, according to the terrorists' threats, and yet the Iraqis still went ahead and proudly inked their fingers.

Here, it would simply indicate that we've voted; nothing more, nothing less.

Now, I'm not saying we should start using permanent ink marks at the polls... but then again, I guess I'm not saying we shouldn't, either.

As the Boots and Sabers post below makes clear, we have to do something, and soon.