Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Thursday, January 27, 2005

Coming to a Phone Call Near You

A friend of mine who works for the RNC dropped this little bit of news to me.

So guess what I just found out. The American Federation of Teachers is plugging phone calls into certain congressman's districts telling them to call a 1-800 number and voice their non-support for personal accounts. The script is below. We're trying to get folks to call this number and say they support the President's plan.

Script:
"Hi, I am calling to alert you that your Congressman Mike Rogers supports privatizing Social Security. This plan would cost taxpayers $2 trillion dollars. It would also decrease future benefits to retirees by 47%. The Social Security Trust Fund should be in a lock box, not a Wall Street slot machine. Tell Congressman Rogers that we want real Social Security reform, not a risky Wall Street gamble. Call him at 1-800-839-5276."
I have now idea if that number works or not.

Ah, AFT not NEA. Guess the gig's up on who NEA works for.

Or is it the other way around? I get lost some days.

Hopefully this won't work. This was listed on Political Diary, the White House's plan for solidifying those weak-in-the knees GOP members of Congress.

"Oh, how the press wants to write a story about Republicans knifing their own president [over Social Security]... My alternative theory gets its first test as congressional Republicans begin their annual bicameral retreat at the Greenbrier Hotel in White Sulfur Springs, W.Va. today. And several knowledgeable sources say the White House has an impressive arsenal of speakers and statistics to ease lawmakers' concerns about the planned level of political support and the flexibility they will provide Congress in shaping a final product. 'Based on what I've heard, the members are going to be very impressed with the White House plan,' a knowledgeable Republican staffer told me. 'I think they could come away from the retreat believing the administration really has their ducks in a row on the issue'" -- Washington Times columnist Gary J. Andres.
Cross Posted at Lakeshore Laments by Kevin. Readers at my home blog know I'm a fairly BIG fan on Social Security Reform.

***UPDATE*** My friend at the RNC just emailed me to tell me AFT is abandoning this plan, the 1800 number has been disconnected.

Ah, but I wanted to hang up on the monotonous recording.