Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Cathy Stepp Announces Retirement.

Cathy Stepp will not be running to retain her seat in 2006.

A sad day at the RealDebate house. Cathy sent me this a couple of minutes ago.

Yo! Reince Priebus are you listening!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE October 2, 2005


STATEMENT FROM SENATOR CATHY STEPP REGARDING 2006 ELECTION


I’d like to thank the citizens of Racine County for giving me the honor of serving as your elected State Senator for the last few years. It is with mixed emotions and a good deal of contemplation that I announce my decision not to run for re-election.

I said many times when I was running for office that I thought one of the main problems in politics today was the lifelong politician who holds tight-fisted to the position graced to him. That when too much time was spent “under the dome” perspectives could get lost and passionate mission could be dulled. I also believe that there are many energized minds waiting in the wings who should have the opportunity to bring their experiences and vision to a place where they could try to make a difference.

You gave me an incredible opportunity to go to work to put the state on better footing financially, to fight for economic development initiatives that will help us here at home and to stand firm in the face of adversity on numerous social issues. I worked tirelessly on all three fronts. I never lost sight of the fact that this job was a gift of your trust in my abilities that I accepted humbly.

To my supporters who were there with me from the beginning and those whom I have met since, I give my deep thanks for your confidence and trust. You allowed me into your hearts and made a safe place for me there. Thank you for being my extended family.

To my colleagues in the Senate and Assembly, staff, and friends around the state, I thank you for hearing my concerns for my district and being tolerant of my impatience as I entered the dizzying political world from the private sector. While I can smile now at the culture shock I endured, you softened the blow for me by supporting me with your friendship, knowledge and laughter. Thank you for believing in my ideas and abilities and for sometimes taking a chance by supporting them. While I have enjoyed many successes with the help of my staff and colleagues in Madison, it is time to focus my attention on my primary responsibility to be a wife and mom devoted first to those who have been entirely devoted to me.

My husband, Paul, and my children, Hannah and Mitchell, have been generous in their surrender of “Mom” for the last few years. They supported me through my struggles and were there to cheer my triumphs. They patiently sacrificed my attendance at ball games, field trips, and plays while quietly enduring too many fast-food dinners and late-night homework sessions. I will be forever thankful to them.

We are blessed to live in a community like Racine. I have met so many of you who emit beams of hopeful light in a community that has struggled greatly over the last few decades. You put others before yourselves and have collectively illuminated the hopes and dreams for a greater and kinder Racine. You shared your love of community with me and made me a better person for it.

I will continue to advocate for our community over the duration of my term and look forward to working on behalf of us all. May God continue to bless us as we face evolving challenges and new representation.

With deep appreciation,

State Senator Cathy Stepp