Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Monday, August 22, 2005

Convenient Capital Security

I was appalled and grateful at the same time for the security at the Wisconsin Capital. I was grateful for the convenience of it all. No metal detectors to go thru. No restriction on access to the building: all the doors were open during most business hours. It was absolutely no problem to bring a small jackknife with me in my pocket. In fact, I think I could have brought my whole Leatherman in on my belt and I know I could have brought in without a search my backpack. There would have been no objections. All very nice for convenience.

I was appalled at the lack of security tho when you think about the possibility of it being a target for a foreign or domestic terrorist. I will not go into specifics, but from all appearances it would be child’s play to blow the place up. Could it be a target? If buses are enough to blow up in England, why not a Capital with all three branches of gov’t?

I was informed that security was tighter just after 9/11. Then there were complaints. It’s time to accept a little inconvenience to keep our Wisconsin gov’t and Capital safe.  

Also Posted at Wild Wisconsin