Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Feingold in '08?

The slogan of this site will likely be "A Red State in '08". Having said that, one of our biggest challenges to that goal may come from a fellow Wisconsinite. I opened my new copy of U.S. News & World Report today and flipped to one of my my favorite sections, Washington Whispers. Much to my surprise, I found this entry:
Fresh face, new voice
Keep a lookout for Sen. Russ Feingold , the second half of the McCain-Feingold campaign finance duo, who just won a third term from Wisconsin voters. He's on a nationwide mission to test out his progressive message that's liberal on some issues, like universal healthcare, and conservative on others, like the deficit. Fans think he can bridge the blue-state-red-state divide, making him not just a voice for a changing Democratic Party but a possible '08 presidential candidate. He's not the only one: Republicans are keeping an eye on Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney , who's on his own message tour.

I've felt Feingold would be a talked about potential candidate since 2001. Problem is, I thought his momentum would build for '04, which it did not. The rise of Feingold is something that Republicans should keep their eye on for the next 4 years, but ultimately I think Feingold will be too liberal for the rest of the country. His viability as a candidate will depend largely on the charm he uses here in Wisconsin to get us to keep sending back to the Senate. I just don't think he has what it takes to rise above the state level, though.